Since 1980, the month of April has been dedicated to celebrating the talents and societal benefits brought by the wonderful men and women of occupational therapy. Celebrate by browsing blogs written by OTs and discover helpful apps for apple and android.
Blogs to check out to celebrate Occupational Therapy:
- Mama OT
- Therapy Fun Zone
- Embrace Your Chaos
- Occupational Therapy Notes
- OT Apps
- Miss Awesomeness
- Miss Mancy
- Dexteria-Fine Motor Skill Development: ($3.99 iTunes, $4.99 Google Play)
* Editors’ Choice Award – Apps For Children With Special Needs
* Voted TOP 3 APP in SmartAppsForKids.com Reader’s Poll
* Voted TOP 10 TRIED AND TRUE CLASSROOM APPS on Teacherswithapps.com
* Voted a Favorite App by A4cwsn Facebook Community
* Editor’s Choice Award – Children’s Technology Review
Dexteria is a set of therapeutic hand exercises (not games) to improve fine motor skills and handwriting readiness in children and adults. Dexteria’s unique hand and finger activities take full advantage of the multi-touch interface to help build strength, control, and dexterity.
For best results the exercises should be done on a regular basis in short sessions. The exercises are designed to be repeatable and engaging.
The automatic tracking and reporting feature makes it easy for parents, teachers and occupational therapists to identify time on task and progress. You can email the progress reports right from the app itself.
Multi-user tracking is included!
- Ready to Print:($9.99 iTunes, $7.99 Google Play)
Ready to Print was created by an Occupational Therapist with over twenty years of experience working with children. It is a comprehensive tool for parents, therapists and educators to help teach pre-writing skills to children in order to build a strong foundation for beginning printers.
It features a huge variety of activities and levels (194 levels in 13 activities) to keep beginning printers engaged.
Ready to Print progresses through the pre-writing skills in a specific order, so that children can master the visual-motor, visual-perceptual, and fine motor skills necessary for correct printing patterns. It is designed to teach children the correct patterns for printing, and to avoid bad habits that are difficult to change as the child gets older.
We are committed to keeping Ready to Print the most comprehensive pre-writing app available.
– It provides activities for both pre-writing skills.
– It’s designed with a progression of skills that work towards correct printing patterns.
– It allows you to change size settings to match each child’s skill level.
– It features a progression from larger hand movements to smaller, more refined movements.
– It lets you choose which activity and level to begin on.
– It allows setting up multiple user profiles, and remembers skill settings and tracks progress for each user.
– It allows you to send progress reports via e-mail directly from the app (iPad/iPad Mini only, this feature not available on Kindle and Android versions).
– It detects the screen size of your device (e.g., iPad vs iPad mini, different sizes of android tablets and Kindles), and adjusts sensitivity automatically.
– Choose from either sound effects or professionally-recorded voice prompts
- Shelby’s Quest: ($4.99 iTunes) designed by an occupational therapist, aims to instill inspiration and enjoyment in education among children.
This app is a therapy tool specially made for occupational therapists, teachers and parents and gives the child a fun way to practice fine motor and visual perceptual skills while allowing the ability to store and track their progress.
Shelby’s Quest guides the child along a journey assisting Shelby the Dog as she helps her forest animal friends overcome their challenges.
- Abilipad : ($19.99 iTunes) Abilipad is a customizable keyboard and adaptive notepad, with word prediction and text-to-speech.
Keyboard Editor enables one to quickly and easily create customized keyboard layouts:
•Assign each key any letter, word, sentence or picture
•Merge cells together to form larger keys
•Create audio recordings
•Select from various fonts and letters sizes
•Use different colors for the grid, keys and letters
The adaptive notepad provides scaffolding and support:
•Distraction-free writing space
•Set the text style (font, size and color) and background color
•Include images from the image library or use your own pictures
•Add, duplicate and reorder pages
•Linked keyboards enable one to effortlessly shift between keyboards
•Words are highlighted as they are spoken
•20 natural-sounding Acapella voices: 4 American, 4 British, 5 French, 3 German, 2 Spanish, 1 Catalan, and 1 Australian
•Speaks letters, words and /or sentences
•AAC option with easily accessible clear text button
•Adjust the reading speed
•Bluetooth enabled for use with a wireless keyboard
•Insert text from emails, text documents or webpages to hear it read out loud
•Languages include English, Spanish, French and German
•Intuitive, user-friendly interface
•Automatically save your work as you make changes
•Organize notepads and keyboards into folders
•Export Abilipad files privately via email or Dropbox
•Share keyboards and lessons online with other Abilipad users
•Download ready-made activities from the Abilipad Library